Definition of Oogenesis
Oogenesis: The process of egg formation.
The second "o" in oogenesis is pronounced separately from the first: o·o·gen·e·sis. The word was created from the prefix "oo-" (Greek oon, egg) + "genesis" (the coming into being of something) = the coming into being of the egg (the ovum).
Oogenesis is in contrast to spermatogenesis, the process of sperm formation.
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions