Definition of HEPA
HEPA: Acronym that stands for High-Efficiency Particulate Air and for High-Efficiency Particulate Arrestor.
HEPA filters are used for isolation and immunocompromise units, operating rooms, removal of allergens from the air (for hay fever, asthma, etc.) and other applications where maximum reduction or removal of submicron particulate matter from air is required.
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions