Doctor's Responses Archive

Viewer Question:
I have had the symptoms of burning feet and lower leg pain for 2 years. The pain is extreme and is present almost daily. I have been to a neurologist and had nerve conduction series done. What type of doctor is best suited to diagnose things such as erythromelalgia? Though, this may not be what I have; I have had to live a much more limited life than I am used to. Any information would help. Thanks!

Doctor's Response:
There are many causes for burning feet and lower leg pain. Sometimes the diagnosis can be difficult and may only become apparent over time. Neurologists can often provide diagnoses for these symptoms. A reasonable alternative would be a rheumatologist. A rheumatologist is an internal medicine doctor with special training in the evaluation of tissue pain syndromes.

Thank you for your question.

Last Editorial Review: 3/8/2002

Health Solutions From Our Sponsors