Definition of Bicycle helmet
Bicycle helmet: A well-known but often neglected device designed to protect the head of a bicyclist.
Helmets decrease the risk of head injuries (traumatic brain damage) by about 85%. However, only about 18% of bicyclists in the US use helmets all or most of the time. Universal helmet use could prevent an average of 500 bicycle-related deaths each year in the US alone.
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions