Definition of Prandial
Prandial: Of or relating to a meal. Prandial pain is pain while eating.
Although medical terms usually have a reasonably logical derivation, this is not the case with "prandial." It comes from the Latin "prandium" which meant "a late breakfast or lunch." "Prandium" was derived in turn from the Greek "pro-", before + "endios", midday.
Now, however, "prandial" refers to any meal -- breakfast, lunch, supper or snack.
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions