Anthrax, Then and Now (cont.)
The California case--1976
The patient was a 32-year-old artistic weaver who worked at home. He purchased his yarns from commercial suppliers. Investigations later revealed that the source of his infection was imported wool from Pakistan. The patient had been well until he developed a fever and sore throat, six days before his death. The illness progressed to include chest pain, headache, nausea, and loss of appetite. During the illness, his major difficulties were trouble breathing, mental problems such as an inability to carry out simple commands, and involuntary eye and limb movements.
A spinal tap (removal of some spinal fluid for analysis) revealed spinal fluid bacteria that looked very much like anthrax. All of these findings indicated involvement of the lungs and central nervous system (spinal cord and brain). The bacterial organism was eventually confirmed at the CDC to be anthrax. In spite of antibiotic therapy, the patient died. In this case, the antibiotics were begun late in the course of the disease, after the anthrax had spread throughout the body.
Several medical examiner's offices and university hospitals in California declined to do the autopsy, presumably for fear of contracting or spreading the anthrax infection. When the UCLA Department of Pathology was asked to perform the autopsy, the faculty agreed for several reasons:
The deceased was transported to UCLA in a sealed plastic body bag within a
sealed metal container. The major findings at the autopsy were heavy lungs that
were congested with blood and fluid, as well as bleeding into the central chest
cavity (mediastinum) and the surface (meninges) of the brain (see Figure I below).
These findings are characteristic of patients who die of anthrax. Finally,
scientists from the CDC flew out to California to collect specimens and
confirmed that the victim died of anthrax.