Definition of Therapeutics
Therapeutics: In medicine, the branch that deals specifically with the treatment of disease and the art and science of healing.
In pharmacology, therapeutics accordingly refers to the use of drugs and the method of their administration in the treatment of disease.
The word comes from the Greek "therapeia" meaning "a service, an attendance" the related verb being "therapeuo" meaning "I wait upon."
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions