Definition of Band, Q
Band, Q: A form of chromosome band, one of the bright and dull fluorescent bands seen alternating along the length of chromosomes under ultraviolet light after the chromosomes are stained with quinacrine.
The Q in Q band stands for Quinacrine, an agent used as an antimalarial agent and, in the laboratory, as a fluorescent dye.
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions