National Brain Injury Awareness
CDC is working with other organizations to find answers questions about
traumatic brain injury (TBI):
- How many people sustain traumatic brain injury each year?
- What happens to traumatic brain injury survivors?
- Are less severe brain injuries being missed?
Current estimates suggest that each year:
- 50,000 Americans die with traumatic brain injury.
- 1 230,000 Americans are hospitalized and survive these injuries.
- 1 Nearly 1,000,000 seek emergency care for a TBI.
- 80,000 to 90,000 people sustain TBI resulting in permanent disability.
- $37 billion in direct and indirect costs are associated with TBI.
The CDC states that "We need better and more complete information on the
incidence and impact of TBI."
(Source: Center For Disease Control, http://www.cdc.gov)
Last Editorial Review: 9/19/2001 8:56:00 AM