Our Blood in the Stool (Rectal Bleeding) Main Article provides a comprehensive look at the who, what, when and how of Blood in the Stool (Rectal Bleeding)
Definition of Hematochezia
Hematochezia: Bright red blood in the stool, usually from the lower gastrointestinal tract -- the colon or rectum -- or from hemorrhoids.
The term "hematochezia" is rarely used. "Bright red blood in the stool" is more widely used (and understood).
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions