Health Tip: Get the Right Nutrients While Nursing
(HealthDay News) -- A nutrient-rich diet is essential for nursing mothers to promote a healthy supply of breast milk.
The American Academy of Pediatrics says a nursing mother's diet should include:
- Plenty of calcium from dairy products, calcium-fortified foods, leafy green vegetables or dried beans.
- Vitamin D through safe exposure to sunlight and fortified foods.
- Protein by way of lean meats, fatty fish, eggs, dried beans, nuts and nut butters.
- Iron from leafy green vegetables, meat, fish and iron-fortified cereals.
- Folic acid from green vegetables, beans, citrus fruits, meat and fortified foods. Folic acid supplements also will do.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2014 HealthDay. All rights reserved.