Definition of Parasplenic
Parasplenic: Located near or alongside of the spleen. This is a term defining an anatomic position
The spleen is an organ located in the upper left part of the abdomen the stomach. The spleen produces lymphocytes, filters blood, serves as a major reservoir for blood and destroys blood cells that are aged.
The prefix "para-" comes straight from the Greek and has a number of meanings including near, alongside of, and beside.
Last Editorial Review: 9/20/2012
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions