Is phentermine safe to take?
Phentermine (Ionamine) is used for the short-term treatment of obesity. Phentermine was also used in combination with other medications for promoting weight loss. Phen-fen or fen-phen was a population combination of phentermine and fenfluramine (Pondimin) or phentermine and dexfenfluramine (Redux). Fenfluramine and dexfenfluramine were removed from the market in 1997 when it was discovered that fenfluramine and dexfenfluramine may cause serious heart and lung problems. It is not clear if phentermine alone can cause similar problems. Nevertheless, phentermine is still used for weight loss.
Thank you for your question.
Last Editorial Review: 3/22/2002
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions