Health Tip: Caring for an Animal Bite
Latest Prevention & Wellness News
(HealthDay News) -- No one is able to prevent all animal bites, so it's important to know what to do if you are bitten by a dog or cat.
The American Academy of Family Physicians offers this advice:
- Carefully wash the area with soap and warm water.
- Stop any bleeding by applying a clean towel.
- Cover the wound with a sterile bandage.
- Elevate the area above the heart to reduce swelling and the risk of infection.
- Apply antibiotic ointment twice daily until healed.
- If appropriate, call your doctor and local authorities.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2013 HealthDay. All rights reserved.