Health Tip: Help Prevent Childhood Obesity
(HealthDay News) -- Almost 18 percent of children and adolescents in the United States are obese, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. That number has almost tripled since 1980.
The agency offers these suggestions for parents to help prevent the problem:
- Limit screen time for your child at home, school and child-care facilities.
- Check with the child-care center to make sure that healthy snacks and drinks are served, and that there's plenty of physical activity.
- Offer your child plenty of fruits and vegetables, and limit foods high in fat and sugar.
- Serve your child water instead of sugary drinks.
- Encourage your child to get physical activity every day.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2013 HealthDay. All rights reserved.