Health Tip: Maintain Your Balance
Latest Exercise & Fitness News
(HealthDay News) -- Maintaining your balance means less risk of falling -- an important goal for seniors.
The Cleveland Clinic offers these suggestions to help prevent falls:
- Make sure one hand is always free. Carry items in a backpack.
- Never try to do something else, such as reading, as you walk.
- While walking, swing both arms from front to back. This will help improve posture and balance.
- Don't shuffle or drag your feet as you walk. Make sure you consciously pick up your feet off the floor.
- Don't pivot sharply to make a turn. Instead, face forward and make a wider turn. Go slowly while changing positions, and use an assistive device if needed.
- While standing, make sure feet are shoulder-width apart.
- Avoid shoes with grippy rubber soles, which may get caught and cause you to fall.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2013 HealthDay. All rights reserved.