Health Tip: If You're a Vegetarian Athlete
Latest Nutrition, Food & Recipes News
(HealthDay News) -- Vegetarian athletes must get enough nutrients and calories to fuel their bodies without including dietary meat.
The American Council on Exercise offers these suggestions for vegetarian athletes:
- Vegetarians who eat sufficient eggs and dairy products needn't be worried about protein deficiency.
- Meat substitutes and soy also can be good sources of protein.
- Vegans should eat nuts, seeds, legumes and whole-grain breads and cereals to get enough protein.
- Get enough calcium via vitamin-D-fortified flour, tortillas, nuts and sesame seeds.
- Get plenty of iron by eating spinach, nuts, seeds, eggs and legumes.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2013 HealthDay. All rights reserved.