Health Tip: Keep Bed Bugs at Bay
(HealthDay News) -- People who travel or buy used furniture should make sure they haven't brought home any unwanted guests: bed bugs.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency offers this advice:
- Carefully inspect any second-hand mattress, couch or other furniture for signs of bed bug infestation before bringing it home.
- Place a protective cover over your mattress and box spring. Check the cover often for any tears.
- Keep your home clean and clutter-free.
- At a hotel or lodge, place luggage on a rack, rather than on the floor or bed.
- Inspect the mattress and headboard at a hotel before using the bed.
- Once home, carefully inspect luggage. Unpack directly into the washing machine.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2013 HealthDay. All rights reserved.