Health Tip: Keep Food Safe
Latest Nutrition, Food & Recipes News
(HealthDay News) -- If you've packed food and snacks for your hiking or camping trip, don't forget these food safety rules to make sure food poisoning doesn't ruin your plans.
The U.S. Food Safety and Inspection Service offers these suggestions:
- Make sure you choose foods that are light enough to carry and won't spoil easily.
- For cold foods, freeze them overnight and bring them frozen.
- Wash your hands, and keep all raw meats and juices away from other foods.
- Make sure your water source is safe by boiling or using water purification tablets.
- Pack nonperishable foods, such as dried fruits, beef jerky, nuts, peanut butter and canned foods.
- Use a food thermometer to make sure all foods are thoroughly cooked.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2013 HealthDay. All rights reserved.