Health Tip: What's Behind Bad Breath?
(HealthDay News) -- Bad breath, also known as halitosis, should be evaluated by a dentist to determine a possible cause and treatment.
The American Dental Association says potential causes include:
- Eating potent food, such as garlic or onions.
- Dieting excessively or not eating enough.
- Not brushing or flossing regularly to remove food particles from the teeth and gums.
- Having gum disease.
- Having insufficient saliva to help wash away food particles.
- Smoking or chewing tobacco.
- Having a medical condition, such as liver or kidney problems, a lung infection, diabetes or bronchitis.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2013 HealthDay. All rights reserved.