Definition of Control (genetic)
Control (genetic): The control of gene expression.
Genetic control may be on the transcriptional or translational level. Transcriptional control works by controlling the number of RNA transcripts of a region of DNA, indirectly controlling protein synthesis. Translational control of protein synthesis works by regulating the step of translating RNA into protein.
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions