Health Tip: Protect Your Feet in the Heat
(HealthDay News) -- Hot weather can give your feet a beating, but you can take a few steps to protect your sensitive soles from the heat and sun.
The American Podiatric Medical Association lists these tips to keep feet healthy in hot weather:
- Try not to walk around barefoot to help reduce the risk of injury and infection.
- Slip on a pair of flip-flops when you're at the pool, beach or locker room, and even in a hotel room.
- Protect your feet from sunburn by thoroughly applying sunscreen all over your feet, and reapplying after you've been in the water.
- Cut down on swelling by drinking plenty of water, and remember to stretch your ankles and calves and wiggle your feet frequently.
- Wear appropriate protective footwear for water sports that require it; pack an extra pair so you don't have to put on wet shoes.
- Pack a foot first-aid kit for vacation, and seek medical attention for any foot problems.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2013 HealthDay. All rights reserved.