Health Tip: Practice Winter Sports Safety
Latest Exercise & Fitness News
(HealthDay News) -- Whether sledding, skiing or just having fun in the snow, kids should take precautions to protect themselves from injuries during winter sports.
The Safekids.org website lists these safety guidelines for winter sports safety:
- Wear protective gear that fits properly and is designed for the sport you are playing.
- Parents and kids should always wear a helmet when skiing, sledding, snowboarding and playing ice hockey.
- Stay warm by wearing layers of close-fitting clothing; make sure scarves are tucked in to avoid getting tangled.
- Drink plenty of fluids to stay hydrated.
- Be on the lookout for signs of irritability, distraction or hyperventilation, as these may indicate altitude sickness.
- Children should never ride on a snowmobile and no one under the age of 16 should drive one.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2013 HealthDay. All rights reserved.