Health Tip: Childproof the Laundry Area
(HealthDay News) -- The laundry room can be a potentially dangerous place for young children, but taking precautions can help reduce the risk of accidents.
The American Academy of Pediatrics lists these laundry room safety guidelines:
- Store all laundry products in original packaging with labels intact.
- Always follow all instructions on laundry products and become familiar with the safety information.
- Never mix laundry detergent with household cleaners or ammonia, as those may produce harmful fumes.
- Store all laundry products (especially those in spray bottles) in a high, locked cabinet out of reach of children -- never on top of the washer or dryer.
- Properly dispose of laundry containers and do not reuse them; promptly and thoroughly clean up spills and wash hands after touching laundry products.
- Keep the laundry room door closed and locked to keep children out.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2013 HealthDay. All rights reserved.