Health Tip: Avoiding Dry Skin
(HealthDay News) -- Dry skin may be itchy and even painful, but with proper care, it can be managed and even prevented.
The American Skin Association suggests how to manage dry skin:
- Take a short shower in warm, not hot, water. Avoid long, hot baths that can dry the skin.
- Several times a day, lather your skin with a rich moisturizing cream. Make sure the cream doesn't contain alcohol.
- Wash skin with a gentle cleanser. Avoid harsh soaps and antibacterial soaps.
- Run a humidifier.
- Drink plenty of fluids and avoid alcohol.
- Protect the skin from winter weather with gloves, a scarf and a hat.
- Don't scratch or rub the skin.
- Avoid irritating or itchy clothing.
-- Diana Kohnle
Health News Copyright © 2013 HealthDay. All rights reserved.