Definition of Fissure
Fissure: A cleft or groove. A fissure can be normal or abnormal.
A fissure in the cerebral cortex is a normal feature. It is a deep fold that involves the entire thickness of the brain wall.
A fissure in the anus is abnormal. It is a painful crack in the edge of the anus and is very painful. Also called an anal fissure or fissure in ano.
Last Editorial Review: 9/20/2012
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions