Definition of HER2
HER2: Abbreviation for human epidermal growth factor receptor 2. HER2 is a transmembrane tyrosine kinase receptor and is expressed by, and involved in the growth of, some cancer cells. For example, HER2 is overexpressed in 18% to 20% of invasive breast cancers and affects treatment as well as prognosis of breast cancers.
Also called c-erbB-2 or neu; also written HER-2.
Last Editorial Review: 10/3/2012
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions