Health Tip: Enjoy a Healthier Halloween
(HealthDay News) -- If you're planning a Halloween party for the neighborhood kids, candy and other "junk food" aren't your only options.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suggests these healthier alternatives:
- For trick-or-treaters, offer low-calorie drinks and treats. For party guests, serve veggies, fruit and cheese.
- Encourage kids to get as much exercise as possible during party games and trick-or-treating.
- Clear all walking areas, including any stairs, to reduce the risk of falls.
- Make sure all lit jack-o'lanterns and candles are placed on sturdy tables and out of the reach of children.
- Encourage family drivers to be especially careful of walking trick-or-treaters.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.