Health Tip: Starting Baby on Solid Foods
(HealthDay News) -- It may seem like a daunting challenge to move baby from
breast-feeding or bottle-feeding to solid foods.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics offers this advice to help ease the transition:
- Choose foods with textures that are easier for baby to swallow.
- Start off by feeding baby while sitting on your lap. Then gradually transition to a safe high chair.
- Make sure baby sits in a well-supported, upright position so baby can easily explore the food.
- Make sure baby sits up straight and looks straight ahead to reduce choking risk.
- Speak in a quiet, calm and encouraging voice while baby eats. Avoid overstimulating the infant.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.