From Our 2012 Archives
Health Tip: Kids Need to Stop Sucking Their Thumbs
Latest Healthy Kids News
(HealthDay News) -- Thumb-sucking is a natural reflex that allows many children to feel less anxious and more secure.
But the habit can wreak havoc with a child's oral health if it goes on too long, the American Dental Association says. Most kids stop thumb-sucking by the time their permanent teeth are ready to come in.
If a child continues to suck the thumb after the permanent teeth appear, the ADA warns it could lead to problems affecting:
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions