Health Tip: Bring Baby Back to a Safe Home
(HealthDay News) -- Before you bring baby home from the hospital, make sure the environment is safe.
The womenshealth.gov website offers this checklist before mom and newborn leave the hospital:
- Make sure the crib and other baby items are in good shape (especially if they are secondhand) and have not been involved in a recall.
- Remove any stuffed animals, blankets and pillows from baby's crib.
- Make sure all smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in your home are working.
- Place a list of emergency numbers, including poison control, near each phone.
- Make sure you have a corded landline phone in your home, in case of power failure.
- Make sure the number on your house, apartment or condo is visible, in case emergency works have to find you.
- Make sure there are handrails on all stairs.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.