Doctor's Responses Archive

Viewer Question:

I have an elderly friend who has severe arthritis in her knee.  She would like to know what type of injections are given to treat arthritis. 
Signed, KK

Doctor's Response:

For degenerative arthritis (osteoarthritis), cortisone injections and Synvisc or Hyalgan are given.  For inflammatory arthritis (such as rheumatoid arthritis), cortisone injections are given.

For more information, see Osteoarthritis and/or Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Thank you for your question.

Last Editorial Review: 7/31/2002

Health Solutions From Our Sponsors