Health Tip: Giving Your Child Medicine
(HealthDay News) -- Even over-the-counter medicine can hurt your child if given incorrectly.
The American Academy of Family Physicians offers this advice when giving your child an over-the-counter medication:
- Always read the drug's label and make sure you understand it.
- Use a medication that treats only the symptoms your child has.
- Carefully read the label, looking for any special instructions or the names of other medications that might negatively interact with the one you're giving.
- Make sure all caregivers know how much medication your child needs, and how and when to give it.
- Keep a medication in its original packaging, so that you have easy access to the label and expiration date.
- Store any medication safely out of a young child's reach.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.