Arthritis Q&A by Dr. Shiel

I have a relative that found out that she has what the doctor has explained as "0-negative arthritis." I have never heard of this kind of arthritis and am wondering if it has a common name. Thank you for your help.


I believe your relative actually has what is referred to as "Sero Negative Arthritis." This is a form of arthritis that is characterized by inflammation (hot, swollen, tender, painful, stiff) of joints, but is not associated with the classic blood test for rheumatoid arthritis called rheumatoid factor. We refer to these patients as being rheumatoid factor negative in their serum, or seronegative.

The term is nonspecific, and it is possible for a patient's condition to evolve at a later time into a more classical, identifiable disease.

Thank you for your question.

Last Editorial Review: 12/20/2006

Health Solutions From Our Sponsors