Definition of Deoxyhemoglobin
Deoxyhemoglobin: The form of hemoglobin without oxygen, the predominant protein in red blood cells.
Hemoglobin forms an unstable, reversible bond with oxygen. In its oxygen-loaded form it is oxyhemoglobin and is bright red. In the oxygen-unloaded form it is called deoxyhemoglobin and is purple-blue.
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions