7 Tips to Eating Healthy During Pregnancy
Eating well can help you have a
healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby.
- Try fortified ready-to-eat or cooked breakfast cereals with fruit.
Fortified cereals have added nutrients, like calcium.
- If you are feeling sick, start with whole wheat toast. Eat more food
later in the morning.
2. Eat foods with fiber.
- Choose a variety of vegetables and fruits, like carrots, cooked greens,
bananas, and melon.
- Eat plenty of beans and whole grains. Try brown rice or oatmeal.
3. Choose healthy snacks.
- Low-fat or fat-free yogurt with fruit
- Whole grain crackers with fat-free or low-fat cheese
4. Take a prenatal vitamin with iron and folic acid every day.
Iron keeps your blood healthy. Folic acid helps prevent birth defects.
5. Eat up
to 12 ounces a week (2 average meals) of fish or shellfish.
- A 3-ounce serving is about the size of a deck of cards.
- Avoid fish and shellfish with high levels of mercury. Don't eat shark,
swordfish, king mackerel, or tilefish.
- If you eat tuna, choose canned light tuna. Albacore (white) tuna has
- Common fish that are low in mercury include shrimp, salmon, and catfish.