Health Tip: Help Manage IBS Symptoms
(HealthDay News) -- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) affects the large intestine, and can include symptoms such as stomach cramps, gas, diarrhea, constipation or bloating.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics says while the cause of IBS isn't understood, there are things you can do to help prevent or manage symptoms:
- Adhere to a regular dining schedule, eating small meals throughout the day, instead of a few large ones.
- Eat slowly and thoroughly chew food.
- Eat foods that are high in fiber, including fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol.
- Keep a food diary to help figure out which foods trigger your IBS.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.