Health Tip: Are You at Risk for Hip Bursitis?
(HealthDay News) -- Hip bursitis occurs when the bursa, a small sac of fluid that cushions the hip joint, becomes inflamed.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons mentions these risk factors for hip bursitis:
- Having a repetitive stress injury from overuse, which may be caused by factors such as biking, running or long periods of standing.
- Having an injury to the hip from falling, bumping the hip or resting on the hip for a long period.
- Having a spinal condition such as scoliosis or arthritis.
- Having one leg that is shorter than the other.
- Having had rheumatoid arthritis or a previous surgery on or near the hip.
- Having calcium deposits or bone spurs affecting the hip.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.