Health Tip: Footcare Suggestions for Diabetics
(HealthDay News) -- Two common complications of diabetes are nerve damage and poor circulation, which make foot problems common among diabetics.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers these footcare suggestions for people with diabetes:
- Avoid walking barefoot to reduce the risk of injury.
- Carefully wash your feet with warm water and gentle soap each day, making sure the water isn't too hot and that you carefully dry your feet.
- Moisturize the skin on your feet frequently.
- Keep toenails trimmed. Cut them straight across to help prevent ingrown nails.
- Avoid using over-the-counter medications, antiseptic solutions, anything sharp or heating pads on your feet.
- Keep your feet warm at all times.
- Don't smoke.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.