From Our 2011 Archives
Health Tip: Prevent Falls During Holiday Decorating
Latest MedicineNet News
(HealthDay News) -- Whether you're decorating your home or climbing to stash holiday packages, take care to avoid falls.
Falls are a leading cause of injury among older people. The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons suggests how you can help prevent them:
- If you use a ladder, make sure it's of the correct type and height for the job.
- Check out the ladder before use to make sure there is no damage and nothing is broken.
- Carry the ladder carefully.
- Place the ladder in a stable, safe position before you start climbing.
- Take care to hold onto the rails, avoid standing on the top rung and don't reach too far to the side.
- Do not climb a ladder if you feel tired or dizzy, or have been drinking alcohol.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions