Can Your Kitchen Pass the Food Safety Test? (cont.)
These conditions include:
- liver disease, either from excessive alcohol
use, viral hepatitis, or other causes
- hemochromatosis, an iron disorder
- stomach problems, including previous stomach
surgery and low stomach acid (for example, from antacid use)
- immune disorders, including HIV infection
- long-term steroid use, as for asthma and
Older adults also may be at increased risk
because they more often have these conditions.
People with these diseases or conditions should
never eat raw seafood -- only seafood that has been thoroughly cooked.
Source: U.S. Food and Drug Administration (www.fda.gov)
Last Editorial Review: 11/18/2008