Health Tip: The Risks of Smoking While Pregnant
(HealthDay News) -- Smoking can cause serious complications during pregnancy, and can cause life-threatening problems for a baby.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention lists these complications -- for mother and child -- that can occur from smoking during pregnancy:
- Increased difficulty getting pregnant.
- Increased risk of miscarriage.
- Increased risk of placental problems, low birth weight and premature delivery.
- Increased risk of sudden infant death syndrome.
- Increased risk of heart defects, cleft lip or cleft palate.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.