Health Tip: Sleep Soundly During Pregnancy
(HealthDay News) -- Getting plenty of sleep is important during pregnancy, but those inevitable physical changes while you're pregnant can make sleep uncomfortable.
The National Sleep Foundation offers these suggestions to help pregnant women get a better night's sleep:
- Once you reach the third trimester, sleep on your left side. Avoid lying flat on your back for long periods.
- Drink lots of fluids during the day, but limit fluids before bedtime.
- Snack during the day on bland foods, and avoid any foods that trigger heartburn.
- Sleep with special "pregnancy pillows" or use extra regular pillows, especially if you have heartburn.
- Take naps during the day, and practice relaxation techniques for better sleep.
- Talk to your doctor if you have insomnia.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.