Cough, Cold, Weight Loss Drug Dangerous - Warning (cont.)
5. Is there another medicine that I can take in place of my medicine
that contains phenylpropanolamine?
Yes, there are other products on the market that do not contain
phenylpropanolamine. Ask your pharmacist or health care provider what other
products are available for your needs.
6. How will I know if my OTC products contain phenylpropanolamine?
OTC drug products containing this ingredient may be identified by looking for
"phenylpropanolamine" in the list of active ingredients on the label.
If you are still unsure, check with your pharmacist to help you determine if a
product contains phenylpropanolamine.
7. How will I know if my prescription nasal decongestant or
cough/cold products contains phenylpropanolamine?
If you are using a prescription nasal decongestant or cough/cold product you
should talk to your pharmacist or health care provider to determine if
phenylpropanolamine is present.
8. If I have questions about drug products whom can I call?
Call 1-888 INFO FDA (1-888-463-6332)
9. How can I report a side effect with phenylpropanolamine?
FDA encourages anyone aware of a serious adverse reaction, including consumers,
to submit a MedWatch report.
You can report an adverse event in two ways:
Visit www.fda.gov/medwatch and click on "How to Report" Call
Last Editorial Review: 7/7/2004
Source: FDA (www.fda.gov)