Health Tip: Store Medications Safely
(HealthDay News) -- Storing medications properly can help preserve them and help keep them from getting into the wrong hands.
The Cleveland Clinic offers these medication-storage recommendations:
- Follow storage instructions on the medication. Unless otherwise specified, keep them in a cool, dark and dry place.
- Avoid leaving medications in your car, bathroom or near any source of water or dampness.
- Refrigerate medications only if it says to do so on the label.
- Make sure all medications are stored safely out of a child's reach.
- If using a pill organizer, make sure all medications are easily identified.
- Keep medications in original containers with lids tightly closed; dispose of medications that are expired or those you no longer need.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.