Rape (cont.)

How can I help someone who has been sexually assaulted?

You can help someone who is abused or who has been assaulted by listening and offering comfort. Go with her or him to the police, the hospital, or to counseling. Reinforce the message that she or he is not at fault and that it is natural to feel angry and ashamed.

More Information...

For more information on sexual assault, contact the National Women's Health Information Center at 800-994-9662 or the following organizations:

Division of Violence Prevention, NCIPC, CDC, HHS
Phone: (770) 488-4362
Internet Address: http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/dvp/dvp.htm

Office on Violence Against Women, OJP, DOJ
Phone: (800) 799-7233
Internet Address: http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/vawo

National Center for Victims of Crime
Phone: (800) 394-2255
Internet Address: http://www.ncvc.org

National Crime Prevention Council
Phone: (202) 466-6272
Internet Address: http://www.ncpc.org

National Domestic Violence Hotline
Phone: (800) 799-SAFE
Internet Address: http://www.ndvh.org

National Sexual Violence Resource Center
Phone: (877) 739-3895
Internet Address: http://www.nsvrc.org

Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network
Phone: (202) 544-1034
Internet Address: http://www.rainn.org

Last Editorial Review: 3/1/2008 4:38:22 PM

Health Solutions From Our Sponsors