Definition of Antipyretic
Antipyretic: Something that reduces fever or quells it.
There are 3 classes of antipyretic medications that are sold OTC (over-the-counter) without prescription:
From anti-, against + the Greek pyretos, fever from pyr, fire. The same root gives rise to pyrexia, a medical term for fever.
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions