Definition of ASA (drug caution code)
ASA (drug caution code): Abbreviation on a medication that indicates it contains acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin).
This special caution code is intended to be a warning for patients with specific medical conditions. If you see it or another possible caution code on a prescription, talk to your pharmacist about it before using the medicine.
While not a part of the historical heritage of ancient prescription abbreviations, drug caution codes provide very valuable warnings.
Last Editorial Review: 10/9/2012
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions