Questions to Ask Your Doctor
Note: We recommend that you consider using this page as a reference for your consultation with your doctor.
- What do you think is causing my problem?
- Is there more than one condition (disease) that
could be causing my problem?
- What tests will you do to diagnose the problem
and which of the conditions is present?
- How good are the tests for diagnosing the
problem and the conditions?
- How safe are the tests?
- What is the likely course of this
condition? What is the long-term outlook with and without treatment?
- What are my treatment options? How
effective is each treatment option? What are the benefits versus risks of each
- If my symptoms worsen, what should I do on my
own? When should I contact you?
- Are you aware of each of the medications that I
am taking? Can they adversely interact with the medications you are
prescribing for me?
- Should we monitor for side effects of the
medications that you are prescribing or for their interactions with other
medications I am taking?
Reference: Kasper et.al., Harrison's Manual of Medicine; McGraw Hill, 2011.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 12/1/2014