Definition of Mifepristone
Mifepristone: The French abortion pill, also known as RU-486.
RU-486 has been used in combination with another drug called misoprostol, to terminate pregnancy at an early stage. It is used with women who are no more than 7 weeks pregnant. The drug has 95% effectiveness. About 5% of women using RU-486 in early pregnancies need additional medical intervention because of incomplete abortions. (doctors often intervene at higher rates in cases of natural miscarriages). The side effects with RU-486 are similar to those of a natural miscarriage.
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions